According to Ray Dalio, founder of Bridgewater Associates, “All successful people operate by principles that help them be successful. Without principles, you would be forced to react to circumstances that come at you without considering what you value most and how to make choices to get what you want. This would prevent you from making the most of your life.”
Well I don’t know about you, but I don’t want anything preventing me from making the most of my life, so I figured might as well come up with principles of my own. Let me know what you think.
1. Do what ever is going to make you happiest. Take the job. Go on that trip. Spend time with the people you care about. Doing what you love is the pinnacle principle for both life-long happiness and success. It may not always be easy, but it’ll always be worth it. Don’t forget that.
2. See part of yourself in everyone you meet. This is also a big one. With everyone you meet, withhold judgement and instead keep in mind that you’d be in the exact same situation had you been through what they had. We are all only human. Give people the respect they deserve.
3. Be genuine. There is nothing worse than people who are dishonest in their interactions with one another. Remember, you are only as good as your word. Think about that next time before you start to put on a show.
4. Be grateful. We only get one life. Take little moments everyday to say thank you for what you have been blessed with, where you are right now, and keep hope for the future.
5. Play often. Go on new adventures. Play outside. Build blanket forts. Go skydiving. Life’s just a big game, anyway. Might as well have some fun with it.
6. Do the world (and your body) good at every opportunity. I’m serious. Your body is your greatest tool and the world our only home. Treat them both accordingly or you’ll have a lot more to worry about then just how to be successful.
7. Always make time to relax, reflect + plan. The sad thing is, you never realize just how crucial these things are until you neglect to do so for a while and end up completely exhausted and overwhelmed. Make the time now. Relax, reflect, and plan to maintain your sanity along the way to future success.
8. Always try to see things from the other person’s perspective. Mentally put yourself in their shoes, even if just for a moment. Understand where they’re coming from. See the world through their eyes. The more we all do this, the more we can achieve together and the better life will be.
9. Take advantage of every opportunity (and make your own). One thing all successful people do is take advantage of the right opportunities along the way. Plan and act accordingly, but don’t be afraid to change course when something truly great comes your way. And if the opportunity you need doesn’t exist yet, create it.
10. Live bravely. Take risks. Stand up for what you believe in. Do what you love. This is your life. Live bravely or resign to a life of mediocrity. The choice is up to you.